Lemon coffee cake is a tasty variant of the popular lemon cake.
Originally from a pastry shop in Sorrento, it is now a typical Neapolitan dessert. It was invented in 1978 by Carmine Marzuillo, a pastry chef from Sorrento.
Aromatic and delicate, this version of lemon cake with coffee is creamy and rich in sweetness.
To prepare this delicious and easy recipe, we suggest using blends such as Qualità Oro. The Central American blend, created from the selection of the best Arabica beans, with sweet and fruity aromatic notes.
FOR THE CAKE MIX:
9 oz sieved flour
4.5 oz softened butter
5 cups of water
FOR THE CUSTARD:
1.7 oz of qualità oro coffee beans
8 egg yolks
100 g sugar
1.7 oz corn starch
5 cups of milk
FOR THE LEMON TOPPING:
4 fresh yellow lemonsfresh yellow lemons
5.3 oz sugar
4 egg yolks
1.7 oz butter
1 vanilla pod
FOR THE PRESENTATION:
lemon verbena leaves
1. Start by mixing the flour and the softened butter by hand.
2. Add the water a little at a time until you obtain a smooth mixture.
3. Create a ball with the cake mix and then lay it on the countertop.
4. Transfer it into a round mould of about 11.7 Inch in diameter or into a cupcake mould.
5. Cook at 356°F for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown.
1. Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl for 4 minutes until pale.
2. Add the cornflour.
3. Place the Qualità Oro coffee beans in a sieve, submerge in a pan with milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Remove the beans, pour the hot milk onto the mixture and stir.
5. Boil the whole mixture again for 3-4 minutes, stirring and paying attention that the liquid does not spill over.
1. Blend the lemons, cut into pieces (including the rind and the juice), with the sugar, butter, the egg yolks and the vanilla pod until it reaches a smooth consistency.
2. Cook the mixture in a pan for 10 minutes to remove the bitter taste.
3. After cooking, filter the custard with a Chinois.
4. Add the butter to sweeten it all.
5. Cool and leave to rest in the refrigerator.
Evenly stuff the base of the cake with the coffee custard and finish with the lemon topping. Garnish with lime zest and some verbena leaves: the dessert is now ready to taste!